Essential UX/UI Features for OTT Apps
Mobile video on-demand is leading the growth and functionality of OTT Apps, so understanding the features that are essential to user experience are critical.
Image Source: Amazon
The OTT media industry is constantly evolving. It has a projected revenue of $12.5 billion by the end of 2030. In this rapidly evolving OTT media ecosystem, engagement plays the most important role of all.
What are OTT Apps?
Over-the-top (OTT) is a method of delivering video content through the internet using app platforms that do not require a user subscription to access.
OTT video offers content providers, including B2B businesses, an opportunity to distribute their video content as a standalone product directly to their target audience.
As the OTT industry gets more competitive, OTT service providers are searching for ways to keep customers engaged. And, one of the most effective ways to do this is by improving the UX/ UI elements of OTT apps.
So, if you are willing to enhance your OTT platform, there are a few UI/ UX features to look out for. We are certain these tips will help improve your customers’ streaming experience.
1. A Smooth Onboarding Process
A smooth user onboarding process has become a must-have UI/ UX element for OTT apps. This is because we are living in an age where watching planned content on TV is nearly obsolete, and watching video-on-demand on OTT apps is the “in” thing.
Considering most OTT applications’ video monetization methods are mainly based on subscription plans, the onboarding process ought to be relatively quick and easy to attract more and more users.
You can look at Netflix for inspiration. It focuses on being clear, Netflix is the only OTT application that does it with style. The text “Watch anywhere” appears on Netflix’s landing page and “Cancel at any time” strikes a chord with the viewer.
For streaming services, personalization is most likely the next crucial UX/UI design principle. Personalization of OTT apps can be accomplished using the following parameters to improve engagement and customer satisfaction:
- Recommendation Engine – To personalize their interface, almost every OTT media app uses an AI-based rating system that recommends material based on an individual’s viewing history. Data such as what type of content is now being watched or even how long a user views, what type of device would be used for watching, and so on, can be collected to provide a tailored suggestion. Curating content based on a user’s watching habit is an easy method that can assist them in consuming content in an engaging and rewarding manner.
- Previews and Thumbnails– This is just an area in which Netflix excels—in terms of giving customized previews and thumbnails. It elevates the user experience by allowing users to customize every piece of the app, including artworks as well as video thumbnails.
3. Multi-Device Compatibility
This is another critical user experience/user interface feature for OTT applications. With the plethora of new devices on the market, viewers want video streaming applications to provide an accessible, flexible experience for content consumption when they switch between devices. As a result, OTT applications should support several devices to ensure optimum customer satisfaction. Thanks to this feature, people can consume content whenever they like.
Muvi is multi-device compatible, allowing users to switch devices on the go without sacrificing their video viewing experience. Muvi enables you to rapidly launch your Multi-Screen OTT VOD Platform across a variety of platforms, including a website, an Android app, an iOS app, Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Smart TVs.
4. Multiple Profiles
This is another area where OTT outperforms traditional broadcast television. While numerous viewers battle over the TV remote, often debating which program to view next, the UX/UI function of presenting multiple profiles from a single account proves to be useful in the video streaming arena.
Netflix and Disney+, for example, enable many devices and user profiles to be connected to a single account. This lets each user freely access their preferred material through their own interfaces. Users may save their viewing habits by permitting several profiles and screens per account.
5. Video Sneak Peek
For OTT applications, video previews are a required UX/UI component. Not only does it expedite navigation, but it also assists in determining which material to view. Using larger thumbnails as a preview screen is an excellent strategy for retaining interest. By reviewing highlighted content, individuals may make better-informed choices about their subsequent picks.
6. Intuitive User Interface
Capturing the user’s attention and maintaining it on the app is among the most fundamental purposes of UX/UI concepts. With an appealing user interface, you can assure that your visitors will be using your app for hours on end. You can do this with the following:
- Simple Navigation– Your OTT application may include a wealth of visually-appealing material, but it will be useless if it cannot be discovered. Thus, the key UX/ UI concept for video streaming applications is to provide content in an easily discoverable manner. While most applications provide a variety of material to view, users often find it difficult to choose a specific title from a large collection.
Thus, OTT media applications should focus on having an intuitive user experience to maximize content discovery. To optimize this navigation experience, the landing page should be read from left to right.
It is common for us to read a piece from beginning to finish when we quickly skim it. The vast majority of writing systems use a left-to-right directional scheme of orientation. It’s because of this that many OTT media apps’ landing pages have a similar structure: navigation at the top, logo at the top left, CTA or call-to-action button in the center-left, and further information at the bottom. It’s easy to find the information you’re looking for thanks to these patterns.
- Search – A well-placed search feature is another critical UX/UI aspect for OTT applications. Including a search bar at the top of your web page is a fantastic idea, as consumers can quickly use the search bar if they are unable to locate or dislike the material suggested. As a result, it is critical to make your search bar prominent. Its appearance and functionality should be predictable, such as via the use of a magnifying glass symbol.
- UI Controls– UI controls are a critical component of any video streaming software interface since they can significantly alter the entire user experience. By strategically using UI controls, you can seamlessly walk your visitors through the whole website, even if they are utilizing it for the first time.
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to beautiful UX/UI design. Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime have all taken this feature seriously and are constantly developing their OTT applications based on user behavior and data. Stay tuned with us for more such tips on UI/ UX practices for OTT platforms.