Google Adwords Call Tracking – Don’t Miss Your Website’s Key Conversion Metrics
How To Set Up Google Adwords Call Tracking in BigCommerce Quickly and Easily
Seventy percent of all mobile searchers have called a business directly from search ads and 99.9% of BigCommerce store owners want to be able to accurately track all conversions, especially paid.
Using AdWords click-to-call ads, call metrics, and calls as conversions help you connect with these customers and gain valuable insight into the true nature of your conversions. Even better, Google now provides a way for you to identify and measure calls from your website that occur after an ad click.
Google Adwords Call Tracking – Tracking Call from Your Website
Let’s say your Google search ads send people to your website where they research and learn more about your business. Website call conversions dynamically inserts a Google forwarding number on your website that measures the calls made by these customers. Whether they click on the number or dial it directly from their phone, you can attribute the call conversion and conversion value back to the keyword and ad that drove the customer.
The Following Steps Will Show You How To Set Up Google Adwords Call Tracking in BigCommerce Quickly and Easily
First, In Adwords you will want to:
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Click the “Tools” tab, and select “Conversions” from the drop-down menu.
- Click the + Conversion
- Select the “Phone calls” option.
- Select Calls to a Google forwarding number on your website.
- Click Name. Enter the name of the phone call conversion you’d like to track. This will help you recognize this action later when it shows up in conversion reports. An example might be “Flower phone orders” or “Booking calls.” Click Done.
- Click Value. Select “Don’t assign a value” too make things easier and Click Done.
- Click Call length. Enter the minimum length, in seconds, that a phone call needs to last to be counted as a conversion. Click Done.
- Click Count. Select whether to count all or unique conversions. “All” is best for sales; “unique” is best for leads. Click Done.
- Click Conversion window. Select a conversion window (how long after an ad click or ad impression you want to track conversions) for this conversion action. The window can be as short as one week or as long as 60 days. Click Done.
- Click Category. Select the category that best applies to your conversion. Your choice here is used simply to segment your conversion reports. You can always change it later. Click Done.
- (Advanced) Click Optimization. Opting into this setting—selected by default—does two things:
- Adds data from this conversion action to your “Conv. (opt.)” columns.
- Optimizes bids for this conversion action when using automated bid strategies such as Target return on ad spend, Enhanced cost-per-click, or Conversion Optimizer.
- Uncheck the box if you don’t want to optimize bids for this conversion action. Otherwise, leave it checked. Click Done.
Click Save and continue.
Second, Add the snippet of tracking code to BigCommerce Analytics:
Click Save and continue.
Lastly, Add the following snippet of code to the BigCommerce file in which your phone number is located:
<body onload=”_googWcmGet(‘number’, ‘1-800-123-4567’)”>
<a href=”tel:18001234567″ id=”number_link”>
(in this example the phone number is located in Panels > HeaderSearch.html)
That’s it! This will add a Google Forwarding Number when your site is clicked by a search ad. To test it simply click one of your PPC ads and you will see your website phone number change to the Google forwarding number. This has been a huge benefit to our customers in accurately tracking their ad performance.